Re: UTP Revisited: scoping the project

From: James K. Lowden
Subject: Re: UTP Revisited: scoping the project
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 10:12:23 -0400

On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 21:16:45 +0200
Marc Chantreux <eiro@phear.org> wrote:

> > I?ve not used another editor where you can pipe chunks of text *ad
> > hoc* through scripts or even awk/perl one-liners.
>
> except ed, sam (AFAIR), and every vi clones i used.

In emacs, you select the chunks of text, press M-|, and type the
command you want to pass it through.  If you want the output to replace
the input, use C-u M-|.

Emacs is the only editor whose extension language is its implementation
language.  There is no difference between extending emacs and changing
emacs.  It's all one.  Every single key is mapped to a function
ultimately of the user's choosing.  Why would any software developer
use anything else?

        :-)

--jkl