Re: UTP Revisited: scoping the project

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: UTP Revisited: scoping the project
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 09:33:02 -0400

Marc Chantreux <eiro@phear.org> wrote:

> hello,
>
>> -  Update Chapter 3 to cover Vim (including gvim)
>
> please don't!
>
> what's nice about reading UTP is to discover the elegance and simplicity
> of it all …
>
> i'm a vibrant fan of vim but i have to admit that even to me, vim don't
> belong to this world of simplicity at all! plus:
>
> * both vim and neovim have vibrant ecosystems to promote their usages
> * there are so many ways to vim it
>
> … the way i'll update it would be to
>
> * mention vim at the top of the chapter and explain we need an extra
>  book (eventualy just make a giant list of all the things you can
>  read about from :help).
> * improve the chapter to take advantage of modern implementations of
>  vi in modern unix.

Your last point was exactly where I was going with this. Having your editor
(gvim in this case) in one window, and your shell in another, makes life so
much easier, for example. Cherry-pick one or two things like that, then
point out that we’re only scratching the surface of what modern versions
can do. Point them to vim.org for more info.

I’ve not used another editor where you can pipe chunks of text *ad hoc*
through scripts or even awk/perl one-liners. Emacs can probably do it, but
that’s outside the UTP scope (and my personal one).

— Larry