Re: UTP Revisited: scoping the project

From: Marc Chantreux
Subject: Re: UTP Revisited: scoping the project
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 09:57:30 +0200

hello,

> -  Update Chapter 3 to cover Vim (including gvim)

please don't!

what's nice about reading UTP is to discover the elegance and simplicity
of it all but as vi user, i was frustrated to see that some things that
are available in implentations like nvi and the openbsd default vi are
not covered in the book. it could be updated this way.

i'm a vibrant fan of vim but i have to admit that even to me, vim don't
belong to this world of simplicity at all! plus:

* both vim and neovim have vibrant ecosystems to promote their usages
* there are so many ways to vim it

so to me having a "vim chapter" into UTP would lead to 2 situations:

* having a book into the book.
* having a very poor coverage of what vim can do for you while you're
  editing roff sources.

both of those situations are sad to me. the way i'll update it would be

* mention vim at the top of the chapter and explain we need an extra
  book (eventualy just make a giant list of all the things you can
  read about from :help).
* improve the chapter to take advantage of modern implementations of
  vi in modern unix.

regards,
marc