Re: (off topic?) Docbook? Re: manlint?

From: Dave Kemper
Subject: Re: (off topic?) Docbook? Re: manlint?
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 01:06:51 -0500

On 10/8/20, James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 02:38:04 +0200 Ingo Schwarze <schwarze@usta.de> wrote:
>> But even then, i don't particularly like the idea of designing
>> syntax with one specific output format in mind.
>
> I share your conservatism.  I just don't see a better alternative.
>
> I think it's accurate to say -ms achieves device independence
> only by not exploiting any device-specific features.

But in some sense, all the classic macro packages already support two
different devices (the terminal and a paper-like format, whether
embodied by PostScript or PDF) that have overlapping but not identical
feature sets and macros.  Extending this idea to allow another
category of output -- especially one as important to the modern world
as HTML -- isn't breaking new conceptual ground.