Re: [groff] 04/28: groff_char(7): Revise glyph descriptions.

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [groff] 04/28: groff_char(7): Revise glyph descriptions.
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2020 14:27:10 +0200 (CEST)

>> [there is no uppercase Eszett]
>>
>> Au contraire!  It's U+1E9E, added in Unicode 5.0.[1]
>
> Also adopted by the Council for German Orthography in 2017
> (https://www.rechtschreibrat.com/DOX/rfdr_Regeln_2016_veroeffentlicht_2017.pdf,
> 2.3 § 25).  It's not part of the orthography I learned in school
> either, and I imagine there are a fair few native speakers who
> prefer not to use it (it is ever thus), but it seems reasonable for
> groff to follow the official rules.

The uppercase Eszett is a special-purpose character.  It's primarily
for passports and the like where the family name has to be written in
uppercase – for example, if your name is »STRAUSS«, the lowercase
for the latter, everything is clear.

For daily use, however, the uppercase ESZETT is *not* used!
Especially for Swiss people, who don't use »ß« since eighty years and
more, this would be *very* alienating.

To summarize: If you convert from lowercase to uppercase in an