Re: Groff vs Heirloom troff (was Re: Quick question: how to do .index in

From: Pierre-Jean Fichet
Subject: Re: Groff vs Heirloom troff (was Re: Quick question: how to do .index in groff?)
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2020 12:21:38 +0200

Hello alls,

Peter Schaffter <peter@schaffter.ca> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 31, 2020, Steve Izma wrote:
> > ...I would like to caution people who think that the
> > implementation of that algorithm [Knuth-Plass] in groff is going
> > to lessen the effort that goes into high-quality typography.
>
> Again, I agree.

That's quite strange because, in my eye, paragraph at once adjustment
is really improving the quality of documents. Not that it's perfect,
nor that it remove the need of a manual intervention to get rid of
widows, orphans (btw, avoiding them is not the goal of that
algorythm), and occasionnal glitches, but, on a day to day basis, it's
a simple way to get a much better quality. I really think that's a
situation where we benefit from automation.

Cheers,
Pierre-Jean.