Re: Groff vs Heirloom troff (was Re: Quick question: how to do .index in

From: Morten Bo Johansen
Subject: Re: Groff vs Heirloom troff (was Re: Quick question: how to do .index in groff?)
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2020 16:01:44 +0200

On 2020-07-26 Dave Kemper wrote:

> It doesn't so much let groff natively understand modern fonts as
> convert those fonts into a form groff does understand (Type 1
> PostScript) and install them in a place groff checks automatically.
> By default this requires root privs, though if you don't have them,
> you can work around it by setting GROFF_FONT_PATH to point to where
> you've installed them.

As far as I remember, the script only installs in directories
that usually needs root privileges for access? My groff mode
from https://jedmodes.sourceforge.io/mode/groff_mode/, will use
GROFF_FONT_PATH to install opentype and truetype fonts for use
with groff. It can also install whole directories of these
fonts. It is of course tied to the Jed editor, but that in
itself should be no excuse for not using it, as you can just
use it for that single purpose ;) - i.e. if you really need
that solution.

Regards,
Morten