Re: Quick question: how to do .index in groff?

From: B 9
Subject: Re: Quick question: how to do .index in groff?
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2020 17:42:17 -0700

"Denis M. Wilson" <dmw@oxytropis.plus.com> wrote:

> To implement .index as a macro one could consider using .substring
> together with the Knuth-Morris-Pratt algorithm. I've done simpler
> things eg the equivalent of The C library substr().

Thank you. Would you be willing to share your strstr() macro?

I'm surprised nobody has implemented Heirloom Troff's .index, but I
guess that's an indication I'm thinking about things in the wrong way.
There's probably some other, more natural solution in groff.

By the way, is it a goal of groff to support the Heirloom Troff
extensions? There are some nice ideas I wouldn't mind seeing in groff,
like the \W escape and using standard system fonts.

—b9