Re: tbl: off-by-one line error at table ends with grotty?

From: Doug McIlroy
Subject: Re: tbl: off-by-one line error at table ends with grotty?
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2020 11:09:04 -0400

>  Why would you want a table *inside* a paragraph rather than
>  starting a new paragraph after a table?

The table may be in a floating keep (e.g. .KF in -ms mmacros).
Then it's quite likely to pop up in the middle of a paragraph.

The suggestion to cause .TE to insert space would pose minimal
threat to documents that have overt .PP's (or equivalents) after
.TE if the space is inserted by
        .sp \n[PD}      \" PD is interparagraph distacne as in -man
        .ns
The downside is that this has to be done in lots of macro packages.
Maybe tbl could output that sequence before .TE, but leaving groff
in no-space mode is (to my mind) too great a change in the specs
of tbl.

Doug