tbl: off-by-one line error at table ends with grotty?

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: tbl: off-by-one line error at table ends with grotty?
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2020 18:48:55 +1000

This looks like a bug to me.  I first observed this in my recent
tutorial additions to groff_man(7) about indentation and the left
margin.  When you use boxed tables without subsequent vertical spacing
with the grotty postprocessor, the table end overlaps the following text
line.

$ cat tbl-and-nroff.roff
before-table
.TS
box;
l.
Here's a boxed table
with some stuff in it.
.TE
after-table

$ head -n 5 /tmp/tbl-and-nroff.txt
before‐table
┌───────────────────────┐
│Here’s a boxed table   │
│with some stuff in it. │
└a─f─t─e─r─‐─t─a─b─l─e─────────────┘

Or, without the overstriking:

$ col -bx < /tmp/tbl-and_nroff.head.txt | head -n 5
before‐table
┌───────────────────────┐
│Here’s a boxed table   │
│with some stuff in it. │
after‐table─────────────┘

It seems the output position returns to the last line of table data; if
I run tbl manually and hack up the output to insert '.vs 2v' before the
'.TE', I get this:

$ nroff /tmp/tbl-and-nroff-after-tbl.roff|head -n 6
before‐table
│Here’s a boxed table   │
│with some stuff in it. │
after‐table