Re: .Xr mdoc(7) from groff_mdoc(7)?

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: .Xr mdoc(7) from groff_mdoc(7)?
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2020 00:57:57 +0200

I am off-topic.

Ingo Schwarze wrote in
<20200625214812.GF90418@athene.usta.de>:
 |given that two authoritative manual pages for the mdoc language
 |exist that describe exactly the same language, but in a somewhat
 |  The manual page groff_mdoc(7): https://man.voidlinux.org/groff_mdoc
 |  contained in the "groff" package documents exactly the same language
 |  in a somehwat different style.

Oh my god.

 |+.Pp
 |+The manual page
 |+.Lk https://man.openbsd.org/mdoc.7 "mdoc(7)"
 |+contained in the
 |+.Dq mandoc
 |+package documents exactly the same language in a somehwat different style.

Oh my god, II.
somewhat is a typo here, Ingo.

My humble opinion, luckily out-of-project.
The day the existence of the additional mandoc page starts
documenting a different language is the day that would have become
a problem.
Why only voidlinux?  What about all other humans of all sex and
colour who are main and everywhere not master and slave and
upstream / downstream?  That is sheer anarchy!
I think mdoc(7) is a roff macro package, with the potential to use
all roff commands, and therefore it belongs into roff software.

--steffen