Re: -ms anomaly

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: -ms anomaly
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 15:33:24 +0200

> Regardless of how the behavior arose, it is certainly a bug
> for -ms not to implement the semantics intended by eqn.

My point was that eqn does *not* intend any semantics.

The Typesetting Mathematics User's Guide says:

  The .EQ and .EN are copied through untouched; they are not
  otherwise processed by EQN. This means that you have to take
  care of things like centering, numbering, and so on yourself.

and

  There is also a shorthand notation so in-line expressions
  like pi sub i sup 2 can be entered without .EQ and .EN.

I think this makes it clear that although you *can* use EQ/EN
to visually set off equations from the text (like -ms does),
it is by no means the only intended usage.