Re: Groff macro to make .UR and .UE links clickable in PDF?

From: James K. Lowden
Subject: Re: Groff macro to make .UR and .UE links clickable in PDF?
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 09:55:01 -0400

On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 13:36:41 +0200
Jan Stary <hans@stare.cz> wrote:

> > Third, and worst of all, it then prints out the entire URL without
> > wrapping, exceeding the right margin for long URLs.
>
> How do you suggest a long URL should be typeset?
> It's an honest question: I don't know. It seems weird
> to e.g. hyphenate words in URLs, as in http://some.compli-
> cated.doma.in/file.html

I think the only solution is to wrap the URL, unmodified and
unhyphenated, to fit.  To introduce a hyphen would to change the
literal URL.  Hyphenation should never change the meaning of the
text.   A user copying the typeset URL and pasting it into the browser's
address bar shouldn't have to hunt down spurious hyphens.

--jkl