Re: mom footnote belonging to a Heading

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: mom footnote belonging to a Heading
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 12:26:22 -0400

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020, Heinz-Jürgen Oertel wrote:
> Am Montag, 30. März 2020, 09:47:17 CEST schrieb Heinz-Jürgen Oertel:
> > I did, and now it looks very good for me.  For now it's a good
> > solution for me.
>
> I did not look close enough, only for the heading and the
> footnote.  Sorry.  After a Heading now all paragraphs are indented
> to the start of the centered heading, All first lines of a PP
> paragraph are correct, but the following lines are intended.  This
> changes after a a new page begins.  On the next page all paragraphs
> are correctly formatted.  I have attached a picture.

The only way I can reproduce this is by neglecting to pop the
environment after a heading, which makes sense.  For various
reasons, the workaround needs an indent to attach footnote markers
to centered heading text.  If the environment isn't popped, the
indent remains active.  Mom herself pops the environment after
printing the page header, which is why the indent disappears after
a page break.  The workaround cannot take care of popping the
environment because, of necessity, it terminates with the "join to
next line" character, \c, needed to attach the footnote marker.

Can you confirm that you have used the following template style for
entering all your headings after including the workaround?

.HEADING 1 "Heading with footnote"
.FOOTNOTE
Footnote text
.FOONOTE END BREAK
.ev \" Pop env.
.PP
Paragraph text...
.HEADING 1 "Heading without footnote"
.br \" Add break
.ev \" Pop env.
.PP
Paragraph text...

If you have and the problem persists, try explicitly setting the
environment to zero, i.e. '.ev 0', after the HEADING.  If that still
leaves you with indented paragraphs, I will have to see more of your
source file to track down the problem.

--
Peter Schaffter
http://www.schaffter.ca