Re: discrepant groff configurations

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: discrepant groff configurations
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 15:39:45 +0000

Hi Colin,

> Really, the weird thing is not so much the existence of the current
> symlink, as the fact that the directories under $(dataprogramdir) are
> versioned.

True.

> but it's quite possible that it would have been better to abolish the
> versioned directories.

And not too late?

> Anyway, groff's build system was more or less completely rewritten
> between 1.22.3 and 1.22.4 (Bertrand's automake conversion), so that
> will certainly confound any attempts to compare different
> distributions if you aren't comparing like version for like.

I'm 1.22.4 on an out-of-date Arch Linux.

groff(1) here refers to an non-existant, and odd sounding, directory.

    $ man groff | grep site-tmac | xargs ls -d
    ls: cannot access '/usr/lib/groff/site-tmac': No such file or directory
    /usr/share/groff/site-tmac
    $

The existence of site-tmac as a sibling of 1.22.4 adds pressure for the
latter to remain, otherwise 1.22.4's content could all move up a level.

--
Cheers, Ralph.