Re: eqn sqrt and pdf?

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: eqn sqrt and pdf?
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 16:30:22 +0000

Hi Marc,

>  fc-match -f '%{file}\n' Symbol
>      /usr/share/fonts/truetype/openoffice/opens___.ttf

What distro and version is this, e.g. Ubuntu 18.04.  Is groff from that
distro, or something you've built?

>     locate symbol.ttf
>         /usr/share/wine/fonts/symbol.ttf

Note, the Symbol font doesn't have to come from a file called symbol.ttf
AIUI so locate(1) might be missing some.

You could try

    fc-match -af '%{file}\n' Symbol | sed 8q

and see if any alternatives look interesting.

>     cp /usr/share/wine/fonts/symbol.ttf ~/.local/share/fonts
>     fc-list|grep symbol
>         /home/mc/.local/share/fonts/symbol.ttf: Symbol:style=Regular
>
> and now the problem is different: the higher bar of the sqrt symbol
> is now up to the symbol itself. not the numeric part.

Which sounds like the Symbol font's metrics don't match where it's
drawing because you're pulling in two different Symbol fonts.

Have a look at my recent email on this thread and you'll see I poke
about /usr/share/groff/1.*/font/devpdf.  Examine the files `S',
especially the comments at its start, `download', and `FONT
INSTALLATION' in gropdf(1).  Consider if re-installing package groff
would have it examine what Symbol font is availble again.

--
Cheers, Ralph.