Re: [groff] 02/07: **/*.man: Put subsection heads in sentence case.

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: [groff] 02/07: **/*.man: Put subsection heads in sentence case.
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 09:29:38 +1100

> and maybe even a bit dated (though not being a native speaker, i may
> be wrong about the latter).

Title-case isn't dated, but it *is* difficult to enforce consistently when
various style-guides differ in their opinions of what words to capitalise.
In general, articles, prepositions, and coordinating conjunctions should be
printed in lowercase (with the exception of principal words; i.e., *"Of Mice
and Men"*). In my experience, very few people get this correct: I often see
"is" (verb) written in lowercase, and "upon" (preposition) in uppercase.
Even worse are those who capitalise *every* word, irrespective of its class.

Personally, I prefer headings to be written in sentence-case, and
title-case limited to *literal* titles: the name of a book, movie, song,
album, etc. Ergo, .SH and .SS are better off sticking to sentence-case, if
just to eliminate the mental overhead of remembering which words to
capitalise and which not to.