Re: pic anomalies

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: pic anomalies
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2019 21:48:16 -0500

Doug McIlroy <address@hidden>:
> The description of sprintf in the man page pic(1) does not
> reveal that only a few format codes are permitted.
>
> Eric Raymond's "Making Pictures With GNU PIC" says only
> %,%e,%f,%g are  permitted. But what does a bare % mean?
>
> In fact pic rejects a bare %. However it does accept
> %%, which is supposed to print a single %. Pic,
> however prints %%.
>
> So I believe we have
> 1. An incompleteness in pic(1)
> 2. An error in "Making Pictures With GNU PIC"
> 3. An error in pic itself
>
> Doug

Yeah, that was a typo or markup error on my part.  I intended %%.
Whoever takes on the pic bug is encouraged to fix this in the same
commit.

I apologize for not being able to take this one myself. I like
pic well enough to do it, but right now all my bandwidth is
committed to finishing GCC's SVN-to-git repository migration.