Re: pic anomalies

From: Ingo Schwarze
Subject: Re: pic anomalies
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2019 20:18:30 +0100

Hi Federico,

Federico Lucifredi wrote on Fri, Dec 27, 2019 at 01:31:00PM -0500:

> for (1), I am CCing Michael Kerrisk

fortunately, you forgot to, unless you used Bcc:.

> and the procedure to report issues on the man pages is tracked here
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/reporting_bugs.html (In brief:
> email address@hidden and CC address@hidden).

That is badly misleading because it only applies to man pages
contained in the Linux man pages project, but not to man pages
in general.  The latest release of the Linux man pages project
does not contain a pic(1) manual:

  schwarze@man $ man -M /var/www/man/Linux-5.03 pic
  man: No entry for pic in the manual.

The pic(1) manual page Doug is talking about is almost certainly
src/preproc/pic/pic.1.man in our very own groff source tree, and
we are free to edit it as we see fit in case we find it to be
defective.

Yours,
  Ingo

P.S.
Besides, trying to educate Doug on how bug reporting works feels
slightly funny.  I'm sure he has at least 50 years of extensive
experience with that, if not more.  :-)