Re: "mom": How to transition from two columns back to one?

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: "mom": How to transition from two columns back to one?
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2019 19:14:54 -0500

Steve --

On Mon, Dec 23, 2019, Steve Ross wrote:
> As a follow-up question, and after the above commands, why does
>      \n[#DOC_L_LENGTH]
> return the value of DOC_L_LENGTH (e.g., 468000) in machine units while,
> for example, both
>      \n[#LL]
> and
>      \n[LL]
> return the value of zero?
> And likewise for, for example,
>      \n[#QUOTE_INDENT]
> and
>      \n[QUOTE_INDENT]
> I think that I don't understand how to access the LL and
> QUOTE_INDENT registers.

They return zero because mom doesn't set any of these registers.
The register set by '.LL' is \n[#L_LENGTH].
The register set by '.QUOTE_INDENT n' or '.QUOTE_STYLE INDENT n'
is \n[#Q_OFFSET_VALUE].

Unless you're doing something fancy, there's no need to access
directly any of mom's registers.  Registers used by mom are entirely
set via macros.  Fundamental to mom's design is moving everything into
macro space, as opposed to the classical macro sets, which require
manipulating registers and strings at the groff request level.

--
Peter Schaffter
http://www.schaffter.ca