Re: Meeting Minute

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: Meeting Minute
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2019 09:22:34 +0000

Hi Steve,

> >     \l'\n(.l/1m'
>
> Ralph, isn't this a little clearer?:
>
> \l'\n[.l]u'

It's certainly more natural and idiomatic, though I'm used to the older
\n( style where it's suitable.

> It seems to me that using 'u' for units works for every command that
> takes a linear measurement and number registers always store values as
> units.

I think of it as:

- number registers store numbers,
- some requests and functions have a default unit, e.g. horizontal ones
  like \l have a default of ems,
- all numbers without a stated unit in a request's argument, including
  ones interpolated with \n, have any default unit appended,
- each number is then multiplied by the unit's size.

Stating ā€˜uā€™ as a number's unit gives a multiplier of 1 and stops any
default unit being appended.

If that model's wrong then I'd welcome correction.  :-)

> Am I missing an advantage to your suggested style?

No, sorry, I was misleading.  I thought it might be simpler for Mikkel
being new to it all.

Mikkel, as well as Ingo's references, there's also sections 1.3 and 8 in
CSTR 54.

--
Cheers, Ralph.