Re: [groff] MacTeX (was: groff and pipes)

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: [groff] MacTeX (was: groff and pipes)
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2019 17:08:49 +0200

Douglas Johnson wrote in <address@hidden>:
 |On Aug 07, 2019, at 08:40, John Gardner wrote:
 |
 |>Installing TeX on macOS also requires a 3.9 GB download of the full
 |>MacTeX distribution, whereas Groff's source tree doesn't even consume
 |>that much space...
 |
 |Installing the full MacTeX distribution does indeed require around 4 GB
 |of space. One can also choose to install the BasicTeX distribution,
 |which is a subset of the full distribution that provides only the
 |essential components. The size of the BasicTeX distribution is 110 MB.
 |
 |As the difference in size indicates, BasicTeX lacks most of the packages
 |that have accumulated around TeX in the last forty years. That absence
 |may or may not matter to you, depending on your needs. BasicTeX provides
 |functionality for installing missing packages manually.
 |
 |More information BasicTeX and the differences between the two
 |distributions may be found here:
 |
 |<https://www.tug.org/mactex/morepackages.html>

There is also kerTeX[1].  Never used it, but since it has all
i need if i would find the time and fun to redo my (mostly) lost
macro package, i am tracking it since .. 2012.  And even though we
come to a dozen updates, the git objects pack is <13 MB.

  [1] http://www.kergis.com/en/kertex.html

--steffen