Re: [groff] mdoc equivalent for man's .TQ?

From: Ingo Schwarze
Subject: Re: [groff] mdoc equivalent for man's .TQ?
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2019 23:46:23 +0200

Hi Guillem,

Guillem Jover wrote on Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 08:15:18PM +0200:

> I've got some man pages using the man package, which I've been
> converting to mdoc.

I'm curious, which ones?

> But I've been struggling to find an equivalent for the .TQ macro
> in mdoc, in the docs (groff and BSDs), and via search engines.
>
> Is there anything at all within mdoc which I'm missing? How do BSDs
> handle things like:
>
>   ,---
>   .TP
>   .BR \-o ", " \-\-option
>   .TQ
>   .BR \-a ", " \-\-alias
>   Do whatever.

\&... this is the end of the preceding text.
.Pp
.Bl -tag -width Ds -compact
.It Fl o , -option
.It Fl a , -alias
Do whatever.
.Pp
.It Fl n , -next
Next list entry.
.El
.Pp
And here the running text continues ...

  https://man.openbsd.org/mdoc.7#Bl_2   # end of the second paragraph

Btw., note that .Bl -compact is portable, whereas .TQ is a GNU
extension: the -compact flag has been around since the early 1990ies,
whereas groff only supports .TQ since 2007.

  https://man.openbsd.org/4.4BSD-Lite2/man7/mdoc.samples.7#tag

Yours,
  Ingo