Re: [groff] 04/05: {g, n}roff.1.man: Give assistance to pager users.

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [groff] 04/05: {g, n}roff.1.man: Give assistance to pager users.
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2019 02:08:41 -0400

> On Jul 2, 2019, at 8:20 PM, John Gardner <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> *There were 24 lines per page unless over-ridden on the command line.*
>> *The tool was real unix tool, lean and mean with only a few arguments.*
>> *It was far less functional than either 'more' or 'less' but it did**let
>> you page through a file or STDIN nicely*

I’m “only” 60, so “whatever | more” is part of my fingers’ muscle memory.
Sure, “less” is “more” and then some, but it would be nice if the newer distros
gave us olde phartes an alias.

> Wish I had access to a "real" dumb terminal so I could use it and never
> complain about this MacBook's crappy screen ever again...

I have a VT220 that I plan to (sooner than later) connect to my iMac. It’s a
matter of physical space rather than anything else at this point. If you have
a tablet (preferably with a Bluetooth keyboard associated), you can use
Reflections
to access your MacBook or desktop via ssh.

Totally aside: if you want to give today’s kids an introduction to terminals,
set them up with rogue or netback. Some will find themselves amazed at how
playable a game can be with ASCII graphics.