Re: [groff] <DKIM> Termux Android app and Groff

From: Bertrand Garrigues
Subject: Re: [groff] <DKIM> Termux Android app and Groff
Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 23:42:51 +0200

Hi Mikkel,

On Sat, May 11 2019 at 01:13:50 PM, Mikkel Meinike Nielsen <address@hidden>
wrote:
> I've been running Linux on my smartphone / tablet for a long time and I've
> used all sorts of variants of Linux on Android.
>
> Now I have started to use Termux which is an android app that gives the
> user a virtually full Linux system from an ordinary Android terminal.
> Really good app, but it doesn't have Groff among the default packages.
> However, you can install Groff by adding a package archive called
>
> its-pointless made by the user
>
> live_the_dream
>
> Once this repo is added one can just install groff
>
> dpk install groff
>
> Groff works fine, but there is a problem.  Groff does not seem to have
> access to normal fonts I am used to use in Groff.
>
> As far as I can see, I have only one basic font family available.

Which fonts are missing, URW fonts?

> I do not know if there is a font-package missing that I can simply install
> to get the usual groff basic fonts or how to access the solution of this
> problem.

Fonts are detected during the build process, so you can't just install
the missing font package.  It is hard to say without the full
configuration and compilation logs.  Are you able to rebuild groff from
the sources on your Android system?

I have some experience on Android using the NDK
(https://developer.android.com/ndk) and the standalone toolchain, but on
embedded systems only, and I've never tried to build groff on Android.
Are you familiar with the NDK? If yes could you try to build groff from
the sources?  If not, please first give me the Android version you are
using and I'll see if I can give you instructions on how to build it.

Regards,

Bertrand Garrigues