Re: [groff] anyone seen ".ny0" ?

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: [groff] anyone seen ".ny0" ?
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 00:22:41 +1100

> *nobody seems to know, i guess the headers were generated automaticlyand
> somehow the .ny0 got into that. Now i have a patch to add thedefinition of
> ny0 but i would prefer to remove it complettly if one can tell me what it
> is supposed to do*.

Just tossing in a loose guess here, but it's possible that `.ny0` was
intended to mean `.hy0`, which disables automatic hyphenation (like `.nh`).
Perhaps the original author's screen-font had letterforms for "h" and "n"
that looked similar, and the original code was cargo-culted to death and
back over the years.

Resetting hyphenation and justification is sometimes seen in the headers of
some man pages (e.g., every Pod-generated man page has this).