Re: [groff] [patch] do not strip mdoc macros

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [groff] [patch] do not strip mdoc macros
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 13:58:56 +0000

Hi Ingo,

> >     perf stat -e instructions troff -Tps -mbar foo.tr >foo.dit
>
> I have no idea what "perf stat -e instructions" is supposed to mean

I think we've had this conversation before.
https://manned.org/browse/search?q=perf may be a useful site for your
interactions with the non-BSD world.  perf(1) above shows the CPU's
count of instructions executed.

> Given that i only sent a patch to stop stripping mdoc(7) in order to
> keep the discussion focussed on one macro set at a time, i'm only
> testing mdoc(7) for now.

I'm happy for a decision to be made on mdoc alone, but the issue is
perennial and so it might be nice to decide a consistent policy for all,
e.g. execute stripped, and have a parallel directory that can easily be
switched to with the GROFF_TMAC_PATH environment variable for debug and
study.

> One among the largest and most complicate mdoc(7) pages i'm aware of
> is the ksh(1) manual:

And mdoc might be a simple macro set compared to some.

>    $ wc ksh.1
>   5600   25263  134843 ksh.1
>
>    $ time troff -mdoc -Tps ksh.1 > /dev/null

(I saved the output so it could be cmp(1)'d.)

> Average: 0.735 +- 0.008

I have mksh.1 to hand here, MirBSD's fork of ksh.

    $ wc mksh.1
      6906  32281 175249 mksh.1

perf(1) says

    2,163,307,701 instructions:u