Re: [groff] seeking fixed-width breakable space

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [groff] seeking fixed-width breakable space
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2019 15:53:11 +0000

Hi Dale,

> You might try using "\:", which is a zero-width break point, similar
> to "\%", except that it doesn't have the hyphen.  I have not tested
> this, but you should be able to do something like "mrphl\|\:blrphl"
> and the two words should be separated by a thinspace that can break.
> At least, I think it should work.

I wonder if the `\:' looks like it is at the start of the word `blrphl',
in your example, and thus says to not hyphenate `blrphl' rather than
provide a break point for hyphenating `mrphl\|blrphl'.

    $ cat breakspace.tr
    .pl 15
    .ll 1c
    A b c d e f g
    .br
    A b c\0d\0e f g
    .br
    A b c\0d\:\0e f g
    .br
    A b c\0d\0\:e f g
    .br
    A b c\h'1n'd\&\h'1n'\&e f g
    $
    $ groff -a breakspace.tr
    <beginning of page>
    A b c
    d e f g
    A b
    breakspace.tr:5: warning [p 1, 0.5i]: cannot adjust line
    c d e
    f g
    A b
    breakspace.tr:7: warning [p 1, 1.0i]: cannot adjust line
    c d e
    f g
    A b
    breakspace.tr:9: warning [p 1, 1.5i]: cannot adjust line
    c d e
    f g
    A b
    breakspace.tr:11: warning [p 1, 2.0i]: cannot adjust line
    c d e
    f g
    $

--