Re: [groff] devutf8 on Windows

From: Jeff Conrad
Subject: Re: [groff] devutf8 on Windows
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 12:12:39 +0000

On Monday, February 25, 2019 4:03 AM, Eli Zaretskii:

> The only explanation I could come up with regarding your simple program is
> that VS linked it against static libraries,

I’m sure I’m linking statically.

> In any case, the conclusion remains that UTF-8 console output on Windows is
> unreliable, perhaps apart of Windows 10.

And though Win 10 seems usable, it’s hardly great with UTF-8.  Would it
then make sense to include a devcp1252, which—though it may make
purists nauseous—would at least give reasonable, reliable output for a
high percentage of documents?

Thanks for all the help!

Jeff