Re: [groff] Upgrade to 1.22.4 breaks PDF font

From: Deri
Subject: Re: [groff] Upgrade to 1.22.4 breaks PDF font
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2019 18:53:25 +0000

On Wednesday, 20 February 2019 15:52:23 GMT Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> An Ubuntu package search at https://packages.ubuntu.com/ says two
> packages provide a010013l.pfb.
>
>     /usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1/a010013l.pfb      gsfonts-x11
>     /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/a010013l.pfb  gsfonts

The devpdf NR font is looked for with the following names:-

C059-Roman!CenturySchL-Roma!c059013l.pfb

And they are searched for in any of the search paths specified when you run
the command "gs -h". On my system these are:-

Search path:
   /home/derij/.fonts : /usr/share/ghostscript/9.26/Resource/Init :
   /usr/share/ghostscript/9.26/lib :
   /usr/share/ghostscript/9.26/Resource/Font :
   /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts : /usr/share/fonts/default/ghostscript :
   /usr/share/fonts/default/type1 : /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts :
   /usr/share/ghostscript/9.26/Resource : /usr/share/ghostscript/Resource :
   /usr/share/ghostscript/CIDFont : /usr/share/fonts/ttf :
   /usr/share/fonts/type1 : /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1

In ubuntu this can be satisfied by installing the package "libgs9-common".
This must be present when the packager builds groff from source for the fonts
in devpdf to match devps, and then marked as a dependency if the full groff is
installed.

During building groff the program BuildFoundries.pl is the program which
populates the devpdf font directory, but it is not really designed to run
standalone, a shame, because if you install a different version of these
ghostscript fonts they seem to move to a different directory, and possibly a
slightly different name, so the download file in devpdf would need amendment.

Cheers

Deri