Re: [groff] Announcement and call for project submissions

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: [groff] Announcement and call for project submissions
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 13:11:47 +1100

*> The whole concept of Taps does not look sustainable to me. *
*> Users won't know where to find Taps, and even if they do find*
*> your Tap by accident (or by Google), they won't know whether*
*> or not to trust you (unless by chance, they already know you).*

Taps are a common and accepted practice for making one's project's
shareable with Homebrew. Their "discoverability" is made possible by
topic-searches <https://github.com/topics/homebrew-tap> on GitHub, as well
as the more recent introduction of project recommendations
<https://github.com/discover> which they tailor to your recent
contributions, "starred" repositories, and people you follow (you can
dismiss them individually, obviously).

*> On top of that, a central package repository is also superior to a*
*> fragmented landscape because in package management, one major*
*> source of trouble is style inconsistencies among different packages…*

I don't disagree, but Homebrew's maintainers have abrasive (and fickle)
policies, especially towards projects they don't consider "notable" enough
(e.g., Heirloom Troff, Neatroff). The tap feature existed in the first
place as a means for users to continue to use/share software which was axed
from the central package repository.

*> Just because a user installs man-db or mandoc doesn't imply they> want
to replace their system man(1) installation from day one*.

They can easily do so by using `brew unlink mandoc` to remove it from their
$PATH. Same with man-db, or anything else.

*> Actually, i expect many users install a new piece of software to inspect
and test it*

I do this all the time, and if it's shit, I run `brew uninstall` to wipe
all traces of it from my system. That includes binaries, manpages, shared
objects, everything.

I humbly suggest you actually try using Homebrew for a while if you're able
to access a macOS environment.

*> For the reasons explained above, i prefer having mandoc here:*

For self-explanatory reasons, I'm not going to duplicate formulae which are
already installable with Homebrew. =) That would be silly.