Re: [groff] Fonts, PDF images, groff vs. heirloom troff

From: Pierre-Jean Fichet
Subject: Re: [groff] Fonts, PDF images, groff vs. heirloom troff
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 10:38:22 +0100

Hello Roy,

Roy Fisher <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 1/28/19 4:51 AM, Pierre-Jean Fichet wrote:
> > masterpieces of typographic details.
> > 1) https://github.com/reffort/troffmanual/blob/master/troffdoc-mk.pdf
>
> While I won't disagree too loudly with the first part, that particular
> document is the exact opposite.  It is a utility document, a gdiffmk
> markup that exists only to flag the location of changes that were made
> to the nroff/troff user's manual; it doesn't use paragraph adjustment at
> all.

I was not clear enough, sorry. I meant the document describes a tool
able to produce masterpieces of typographic details, not that the document
was such a masterpiece. ;)

> The description document has more detail about how to use the requests.
> It will probably be more useful initially than the nroff/troff user's
> manual.  It can can be found at:
> https://github.com/reffort/typo-tests-documents/blob/master/typotests-doc.pdf

I am discovering here you're the author of these changes. That's a fantastic
work you've made. It's really encouraging me to try heirloom again, and I
hope, other troff enthusiasts too.

> I downloaded utmac some time ago when you first posted about it.  There
> are some interesting ideas in there, but I haven't studied it in as much
> detail as I would like.

It is honestly too much based on my own needs to be useful as something
more than an inspiration.

Kind regards,
Pierre-Jean.