Re: [groff] Fonts, PDF images, groff vs. heirloom troff

From: Boss Hog
Subject: Re: [groff] Fonts, PDF images, groff vs. heirloom troff
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 14:54:23 -0500

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 04:17:27AM -0800, Mircea Hossu wrote:
> Just signalling the only limitation I've hit yet regarding non-pdf
> images (Heirloom troff): transparent background. (If anyone knows a
> workaround, please share).
>
> Program bmpp (part of dktools) also makes nice conversions to eps:
> - https://sourceforge.net/p/dktools/wiki/bmpp%20manual/
> - https://www.ctan.org/pkg/dktools

Would something like these meet your requirements?
The first image "Groff and Friends" uses PS Level 3 ImageType operator
to create a chroma-key transparent background. I selected black as the
transparent colour.

The second image with the pig uses the same technique along with simple
text bubbles created by PIC. The text across the pig is a combination
of clipping paths and ghostscript tricks.

These images started life as bitmaps wrapped in custom PostScript code,
given to groff and finally passed through ps2pdf to render the trans-
parent effects.