Re: [groff] Fonts, PDF images, groff vs. heirloom troff

From: Pierre-Jean Fichet
Subject: Re: [groff] Fonts, PDF images, groff vs. heirloom troff
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 07:58:37 +0100

aksr <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 08:27:08AM +0100, Pierre-Jean Fichet wrote:
> > Neatroff do both of these. It suports OpenType fonts, but does not offer
> > as much control as Heirloom Troff does.
> Are you sure about that?

Heirloom troff is able to set ligatures with .flig and .fdeferlig, kerning
with .kernbefore and .kernafter, .kernpair, and hanging characters with .lhang
and .rhang. All these things are, as far as I know, missing from Neatroff.

> Anyway, even though I use both, I often prefer Neatroff (it is very good).
I also prefer neatroff, for a lot of reasons... Two of them being:
- heirloom paragraph at once adjustment behaves sometimes oddly (and seems
buggy).
- That same algorytm forces the usage of line trap macros to print notes, which
is hard to code.

> Code is clean and the Neatroff's author is very helpful.
I agree !

Kind regards,
Pierre-Jean.