[groff] Fonts, PDF images, groff vs. heirloom troff

From: Richard Morse
Subject: [groff] Fonts, PDF images, groff vs. heirloom troff
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 16:32:43 -0500

Hi! I’m working on a project where I want to use troff to create PDFs. I want
to use some particular OpenType features (in particular, a bunch of smart
kerning and character substitutions), but I also want to embed PDF images into
the final PDF.

What I’ve discovered is that GNUs groff does not seem to handle fonts in any
useful way, but Heirloom troff can’t manage PDF images.

Is there some other option available that can do both of these?

Thanks,
Ricky