Re: [groff] Debugging

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [groff] Debugging
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2019 22:46:37 +0000

Hi Bertrand,

> Therefore I would like to add a '--debug' or '--log' option to 'groff'
> that will make groff log all the calls to the preprocessors and to
> troff into a file (so that stdin and stderr will not be impacted) and
> also spread this option to all the preprocessors who will dump their
> input into file

At first glance it seems to overlap a bit with groff's -V and -VV
options, and using `strace -fe execve -o st.out'.  And since the
pipelined programs run in parallel they presumably won't all be writing
to the same input-and-output capture programs?

Could what you want be achieved by a bunch of shims earlier in your
PATH?  For example, a /bin/sh pic that cats stdin to a file, runs the
real pic on it capturing its stdout, and finally cats that to the
script's stdout?

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy