Re: [groff] a5 paper size?

From: Deri
Subject: Re: [groff] a5 paper size?
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 01:37:32 +0000

On Thursday, 20 December 2018 21:27:39 GMT Richard Morse wrote:
> Hi! I apologize if this is the wrong list for this question; if there is a
> better place to ask it, please let me know.
>
> It seems from the manual* that I should be able to create an A5-sized PDF by
> doing something like:
>
>     \X'papersize=a5'
>     .pl 8.26i
>     This is a test
>
> and then calling
>
>     groff -Tpdf foo.tr > foo.pdf
>
> However, when I try this, I get the errors:
>
>     Use of uninitialized value $val in pattern match (m//) at
> /usr/local/Cellar/groff/1.22.3/bin/gropdf line 1158, <> line 15. Use of
> uninitialized value $mediabox[3] in subtraction (-) at
> /usr/local/Cellar/groff/1.22.3/bin/gropdf line 1858, <> line 16. Use of
> uninitialized value $fld in concatenation (.) or string at
> /usr/local/Cellar/groff/1.22.3/bin/gropdf line 1923, <> line 26.
>
> (This happens regardless of whether I say "a5" or "A5".) What am I doing
> wrong?
>
> Thanks,
> Ricky
>
> * `man gropdf` says that the "\X'papersize=paper-size'" parameter is
> supported, and is the same as the "papersize" command, and directs me to
> `man groff_font`. `man groff_font` says that "papersize" selects a paper
> size: "Valid values for string are the ISO paper types A0-A7 ... Case is
> not significant for string if it holds predefined paper sizes."

Try:-

\X'papersize=420p,595p'
pl 8.26i
This is a test

The actual named paper sizes don't work, but you can enter the width,length as
two numbers. The numbers above are in points but:-

\X'papersize=14.8c,21c'

Works just as well.

However, if you want to create a pdf with all pages as A5, then remove the \X
command and add the groff flags "-P-pa5" which also works.

Cheers

Deri