Re: [groff] Regularize (sub)section cross references.

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [groff] Regularize (sub)section cross references.
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 00:15:23 +0100

> > I'm against this whole locale thing.  It needlessly
> > complicates groff and will probably fail when reading
> > foreign manual pages in a "C" locale.

> That's _already_ a big fail, depending on the language.

Not at all.  Groff has thankfully remained fairly
independent of locale so far.  I can delete the entire
/usr/{lib,share}/locale hierarchy and groff continues to
work correctly as long as the output device supports all the
characters needed by the document.  I strongly believe that
this should remain so.  I don't think it's a good idea to
have the formatting of a document depend on what locale the
user has set, not even considering what would then become
of documents containing a mix of different languages.

There should exist a way for providing the required information
in the document itself in a similar way as (for example)
hyphenation patterns are accessed, and there should also be
a simple way for the user to augment that data if necessary
(similar to the way a user can specify extra hyphenation points
as part of the document source code, or provide additional
hyphenation pattern files along with the document).

Locale should remain a user preference, not a document
requirement.