Re: [groff] Regularize (sub)section cross references.

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: [groff] Regularize (sub)section cross references.
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 06:03:54 +1100

*> He said that .tr should attempt to emulate the behaviour of*
*> the POSIX tr(1) utility.  No, it should absolutely not attempt that.*

Sigh. First of all, I did read the recent update earlier this year about
bringing hacking on tr.

Second, you grossly misinterpreted what I wrote (*again*), in two ways:

1. I meant that Roff's `.tr` request, which tempts one to think it has
parity with the Unix tool of the same name, has no support for character
ranges, or anything remotely ergonomic.
2. The mention of "POSIX" referred to the executable utility, tr(1), which
*does*, and I didn't say it had to be 1-to-1 compatible with it

Furthermore, the example request I suggested under my initial "Time for
improvement, maybe?" clearly used `.translate` in an attempt to
differentiate an (obviously incompatible) variant of Roff's translation
request. How much of these emails do you bother reading before you answer?
Seriously...

*> usually *much* easier to understand than German translations, which
invariably sound weird*

I'm sure those reading the man-page for
rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz(1)
wouldn't notice a difference. ;-)