Re: [groff] 1.22.4.rc4 - Final RC before official 1.22.4

From: Bertrand Garrigues
Subject: Re: [groff] 1.22.4.rc4 - Final RC before official 1.22.4
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 00:59:24 +0100

Hi Ingo,

On Sun, Dec 09 2018 at 01:59:11 PM, Ingo Schwarze <address@hidden> wrote:
> Then, the test that the gnulib hypot module is supposed to replace
> intends to test whether the function needs to be *declared*.  In
> the past, our build system did not provide any replacement code for
> a missing hypot() object in the system library.  It only attempted
> to provide a missing declaration, if needed.

You're right.  The removal of the buggy GROFF_NEED_DECLARATION on
hypot was suffificent to fix all the problems, it's not worth working on
the replacement function.

[...]
> By the way, looking at configure.ac, my impression is that redundant,
> maybe even conflicting tests are likely being done for several
> functions, for example GROFF_NEED_DECLARATION + AC_REPLACE_FUNCS
> for strcasecmp(3) and GROFF_NEED_DECLARATION + AC_CHECK_FUNCS for
> gettimeofday(2).  But if so, that should be cleaned up *after*
> release.  Besides, my impression may be mistaken, as i said, autoconf
> is quite contorted and certainly hard to understand.

Agreed.  There is no need to spend time on that now.  I'll fix my commit
and remove the 'hypot' modules tomorrow.

Regards

Bertrand