Re: [groff] Design and Implementation of *roff

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [groff] Design and Implementation of *roff
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2018 20:10:58 +0000

On Mon, 2018-12-03 at 20:36 +0100, Tadziu Hoffmann wrote:
> > the epsiode about Joe Ossanna is indeed funny, but what
> > the guy in the video is saying at that point is of course
> > total crap: very untrue in multiple respects and totally
> > irresponsible.
>
> Indeed, I did not mean to imply it was factual.  But it
> is entertaining.  It reminded me of the legions of Cobol
> programmers that will be needed for y10k fixes.  :-)

Which triggers a memory from decades past (1960+) when
(then employed by the UK War Office) I worked with a
computer language, locally developed, which they had
named MIRFAC:

"Mathematics In Recognisable Form Automatically Compiled"

this being the closest acronym they could devise to MIRFAK:
Mirfak is the brightest star in the constellation of Perseus,
in which the second brightest start is ALGOL!

See e.g.:
http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/5791/Programming-in-MIRFAC/

Best wishes to qll,
Ted.