Re: [groff] 1.22.4.rc4 - Final RC before official 1.22.4

From: Ingo Schwarze
Subject: Re: [groff] 1.22.4.rc4 - Final RC before official 1.22.4
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2018 02:07:20 +0100

Hi Bertrand,

Bertrand Garrigues wrote on Mon, Dec 03, 2018 at 01:29:38AM +0100:

> I'm not very familiar with Solaris, so first a general question:
> what is the most 'important' Solaris-like distribution?

There are no such things as Solaris-like distributions.

> I've understood that Solaris 11 is no longer maintained by Oracle
> as an open-source projet and that the project is now closed source.

Yes.  Solaris 9, 10, and 11 are fully commercial, closed-source
operating systems.  11 and 10 are supported, 9 is EOL.

> Did you install your environment

No, i did not install my environment.

I have a test account on the test server farm of opencsw.org.

They used to offer such test accounts to maintainers of open source
software who care about making their software portable, and Solaris
is a platform where more stuff tends to fail than elsewhere.  They
even used to advertise the option of getting test accounts on their
website.  I don't know whether they still do that, but my test
account still works, and i use it often for testing purposes.

> Looking for a free variant of Solaris 11

Such a thing doesn't exist.

> I've tested on OpenIndiana

OpenIndiana is a distribution of illumos, as far as i know.
Quite some time has passed since Oracle killed OpenSolaris,
the predecessor of illumos.  So there may still be some similarities
between illumos and commercial Solaris, but differences are no doubt
growing.

Testing on OpenIndiana also seems useful, given that illumos
is a free operating system, but it's a different test.

> expecting similar results than on Solaris 11 but did not encounter the
> problem on the 'hypot' function.

Not surprising: illumos and Solaris 11 are different operating systems,
and the hypot() issue doesn't show up on Solaris 10, either.

Yours,
  Ingo