Re: [groff] 1.22.4.rc4 - Final RC before official 1.22.4

From: Bertrand Garrigues
Subject: Re: [groff] 1.22.4.rc4 - Final RC before official 1.22.4
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2018 01:29:38 +0100

Ingo,

On Sat, Dec 01 2018 at 01:20:30 AM, Ingo Schwarze <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Solaris 11, with the following workaround, it built, it installed,
> and it runs.
>
>   export groff_cv_decl_needed_hypot=no
>   ../configure

I'll check what you've described on this issue on your other mail next
week.  Should I fail to make a clean fix I'll mention the problem and
your command in the PROBLEMS file.

> Testing on Solaris 9 yielded very strange results - as usual with
> Solaris 9.  Configure and build went smoothly out of the box, but
> then "make install" died like this:
[...]
> Here is the reason:
>
>    > for f in ; do echo "not printed" ; done
>    > echo $?
>   0
>    > echo $SHELL
>   /opt/csw/bin/bash
>    > /opt/csw/bin/bash --version | head -n 1
>   GNU bash, version 4.3.30(1)-release (sparc-sun-solaris2.9)
>
>    > cat test.sh
>   for f in ; do echo "not printed" ; done
>    > bash test.sh
>   test.sh: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `;'
>   test.sh: line 1: `for f in ; do echo "not printed" ; done'
>    > which bash
>   /usr/bin/bash
>    > bash --version
>   GNU bash, version 2.05.0(1)-release (sparc-sun-solaris2.9)
>   Copyright 2000 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>
> Now, do we care about bash 2.05?  If we do, we have to avoid
> empty for loops.  But i kind of doubt that we care about a shell
> from almost twenty years ago...

Yes, we can leave this one unsolved...

> Anything in particular you want me to have a closer look at on OpenBSD,
> Debian Jessie, or Solaris 9, 10, or 11?

I'm not very familiar with Solaris, so first a general question: what is
the most 'important' Solaris-like distribution?  I've understood that
Solaris 11 is no longer maintained by Oracle as an open-source projet
and that the project is now closed source.  Did you install your
environment from the Oracle download page
(https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solaris11/downloads/install-2245079.html)
?

Looking for a free variant of Solaris 11 I've tested on OpenIndiana
expecting similar results than on Solaris 11 but did not encounter the
problem on the 'hypot' function.  Build was OK, but 'make check'
(rightly) failed on the hdtbl examples check as font_n.ps and font_x.ps
had only 1 page.

Regards,

Bertrand