Re: [groff] Design and Implementation of *roff

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [groff] Design and Implementation of *roff
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 16:41:46 +0000

Yves Cloutier <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm in search of any documentation that provides insight into the design
> and implementation of a *roff.
>
> I know source code exists for a few implementations like Plan 9, Heirloom,
> Groff and Neatroff.
>
> However what I'm in search of is something a bit more high-level than
> source code. Rather some design/implementation documentation that explains
> an *approach* to implementing a *roff.
>
> Would anyone know if anything like this exists?

I'd have a look at:

Software Tools in Pascal by Brian W. Kernighan and P.J. Plauger

I found it pretty interesting to see how the macro processor can be run
before the low-level roff commands and how the very very basic roff was
implemented.  Many gems in the book - really like the getchar, putchar
definition/implementation.  However it is light years away from a
complete groff though - but as a starting point it is great,

regards,
Gaius