Re: [groff] RFC: replace doc/webpage.ms or "evergreen" it

From: Bertrand Garrigues
Subject: Re: [groff] RFC: replace doc/webpage.ms or "evergreen" it
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2018 00:59:33 +0100

Hi Branden,

On Thu, Nov 08 2018 at 08:08:03 AM, "G. Branden Robinson" <address@hidden>
wrote:
> doc/webpage.ms is a nice example of how to do some fairly sophisticated
> stuff with groff, putting groff color extensions and the www macro
> package on top of the classical ms macro package to make an attractive
> hypertext document.
>
> ...but it is a maintenance burden to keep up.  It appears to be the
> source document for the groff home page at some time in the past.
>
> Can I get some votes on one of the following options?
>
> 1. Retire it (delete it from the build and repo).

That would be a pity,

> 2. Modify it to make it more obviously an example, removing everything
> that seems outdated or untimely.

I vote for this one.  'webpage.ms' should no longer be something that
duplicates the 'README' file as Dave pointed out, but an example
demonstrating what can be done with 'ms'.  It should be moved to a new
directory 'contrib/ms/examples'.

> 3. Bloody-mindedly update it for the 1.22.4 release.

I don't think that this change is needed for 1.22.4, but this would
depends on how fast you can bring this update.  I'm trying to catch up
months of inactivities and I have dozens of unread mails from the groff
mailing list, so you still have a bit of time.

Regards,

Bertrand Garrigues