Re: [groff] How to show all hyphenation points?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [groff] How to show all hyphenation points?
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2018 18:13:04 +0100 (CET)

>> a request that would print its argument with all hyphenation points
>> visible

I think this is not necessary.

> What I see as the typical use is a nonce question about a
> single word. That is trivially handled by
>       groff -a
>       .ll 1u
>       recapitulation
> The result is marrred with "can't break line" diagnostics,
> but it's quick and intelligible.

Exactly.  Based on that a simple macro can be constructed:

.de showhyphens
.  nr nr_showhyphens \\n[.warn]
.  warn 0
.
.  ev ev_showhyphens
.  ll 1u
.  di di_showhyphens
.    nop \\$1
.    br
.  di
.  ll
.  ev
.
.  warn \\n[nr_showhyphens]
.
.  tr aa \&
.  di_showhyphens
.  tr aa x
\& \"
..
.
This is a test to show
.showhyphens recapitulation
and other stuff.

=> This is a test to show re‐ca‐pit‐u‐la‐tion and other stuff.