Re: [groff] improve a few terminal renderings of special characters

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [groff] improve a few terminal renderings of special characters
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2018 15:06:15 +0100

Hi John,

> All thinks considered, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just write my own
> man(1) implementation in pure JavaScript... I mean, I can't possibly
> imagine it to be hard...

Humour aside, you seem to be mixing two things: front and back end.

Back end, you've a `device' that renders to an HTML Canvas, in a similar
manner to -TX100, and gxditview(1).  groff and
http://www.nongnu.org/man-db/ offer options to kick-off gxditview for
display.  man-db will also open a local file in a browser for HTML
output.  Fitting in alongside those would leave the user with his
familiar tools.

Front end, you're aiming at a documentation browser and so want to find
man-page sources, etc?  I think this is less novel and users would enjoy
an integrated back-end more, and prefer it first.

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy