Re: [groff] improve a few terminal renderings of special characters

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: [groff] improve a few terminal renderings of special characters
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2018 23:01:29 +1000

You'll need a browser to use the canvas-based parts. NodeJS doesn't include
browser technologies such as HTML parsing and rendering, as JavaScript and
DOM <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/DOM/DOM_Reference> are two
different things. It does, however, have facilities to launch a local
server so the web-based demo could be accessed using http://localhost:1337/
or whatever. I might chuck it in later. =)

Parts of Roff.js are browser-dependent, others are purely JavaScript and
can run either in Node or the browser. I've yet to write up documentation
explaining which is which, but I'm leaving that until after the project has
been finished (it's 80% there). Hold your horses. ;-)

I should ask, what's the most reliable way of running `man -a -w`? I
thought this was universal to `man` implementations, but Solaris told me
otherwise. illumos uses `man -w` to update the `makewhatis` database, and
this is part of what killed my first attempt at finishing Roff.js. The
reason this is important is because it's how the NodeJS environment shells
out to the system to locate manpages for display/processing.