Re: [groff] Inexplicable error using tbl(1) 1.19.2 on macOS

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [groff] Inexplicable error using tbl(1) 1.19.2 on macOS
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2018 00:17:18 +0200

> The markup I posted which generated that error was *reduced* from
> previously valid markup (and the error messages remained the same).

Hmm, well, I *do* get the error message

  tbl:<standard input>:2: unrecognised format `o'
  tbl:<standard input>:2: giving up on this table

if I leave out the two format descriptor lines.
If I put them in, everything is okay.

> To the best of my understanding, though, the original `tbl(1)` markup
> <https://github.com/Alhadis/.files/blob/master/share/man/man5/textmate.5#L368-L492>
> I authored *was* valid.

Yes, it appears to be (since it doesn't throw the error),
but it does contain the format descriptors.

On the other hand, I found some other syntax errors:

  line 10:   \\rq instead of \(rq
  line 350:  \<* and \>* instead of \*< and \*>
  line 178:  unknown macro XR (did you mean SX?)