Re: [groff] soelim: Ignoring Some ’so’ Requests

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [groff] soelim: Ignoring Some ’so’ Requests
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 09:20:12 +0100

Hi Jeff,

> I think it’s better to use “'” than a space because what’s going on is
> more readily apparent—at least to those who understand the idiom.

And even to those that don't, it stands out more than whitespace,
especially given whitespace after the `.' is more common these days for
control-flow indentation.

> It works pretty well with text source, but I’m not sure I always trust
> it with macros.  So I’ll “.so” a text file but “'so” a macro package.

Yes, I agree, I think it's still useful.  Also when the input to the
preprocessor is wanted in the document, e.g. explaining pic(1) might
`'so foo.pic' and also `.so foo.pic'.

> And the documentation should probably eventually be corrected.

TWIMC, do the warts that get spotted on the list get opened as bugs in
the tracker by some magic pixie?  Or should one do that oneself?

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy